Whether you are a company with regular litigation needs or an individual with what you hope will be a once-in-a-lifetime case, Robertson and Ash can represent you in a way that takes the pressure and worry off of you – allowing you to focus on your business or on other important aspects of your life.
Civil litigation (otherwise known as a lawsuit) can be complex and confusing, and it can divert your energy and attention away from what is important to you. Our attorneys are skilled in the art of accepting the burden of your legal issues while at the same time keeping you informed in a way that allows life, or your business, to go on.
Our attorneys have extensive experience in all phases of civil litigation and arbitration, including trial and binding arbitration. In addition to handling Colorado litigation in the courts of Denver, Boulder and elsewhere, we have litigated in state and federal courts from New York to Florida to California and in a wide variety of arbitration venues. The cases we have litigated run the gamut – from small warranty issues for a motorcycle manufacturer, to class action lawsuits involving millions of potential claimants, to reinsurance claims involving millions of dollars in claims, to personal injury claims. Litigation rarely comes out of the blue, and there is an important pre-litigation phase to most cases that leaves room for negotiation and settlement.
Our attorneys are similarly experienced and skilled in guiding our clients through the maze of potential pitfalls and opportunities that precede full-blown lawsuits. When we do so, we help our clients understand not just the financial effects of litigation, but also the intangibles – such as time away from family or work. Businesses are accustomed to applying a cost benefit analysis to their legal matters – and determining whether initiating or settling a lawsuit makes business sense. We can assist with that process by making sure that the data on which the decision rests are reliable and complete. Although individuals may not be inclined to apply a cost benefit analysis to their decisions related to litigation, they should. Therefore, in addition to helping our clients understand the law, we also pride ourselves on helping them understand the big picture of not just the money associated with lawsuits but also the value of other aspects of litigation.
We empower our clients to make informed and thoughtful decisions. Both Mr. Ash and Mr. Robertson are alumni of large, prestigious New York law firms, and we have worked on the sophisticated and complex kinds of cases that those firms handle. However, we both have also served small, individual clients and small businesses. The blending of our big-firm experience with running a small and individual-focused law firm is what makes us unique. In most cases, we can offer big-firm service on a small-firm budget.
Our experience includes helping shepherd a medium-sized, public company through an SEC investigation that resulted in the SEC’s deciding to not pursue action against the company. We also have litigated securities actions brought by private parties. We have significant experience in insurance and reinsurance litigation, insurance contracts, and a wide array of contract and business disputes. We have litigated toxic torts, employment discrimination claims, and improper discharge cases. We also have litigated in agency venues. We have also litigated on behalf of individuals, for matters as simple as disputes with home contractors and as complex as medical malpractice. As you can see from our biographies, our attorneys come from backgrounds that are in some ways similar and in some ways disparate.
Those backgrounds, and the experience we gained from them, help us to see our cases from a variety of perspectives. That perspective is essential in understanding the strengths and weaknesses of both sides’ arguments, and it allows us to educate our clients so they can make informed decisions. Often our clients only interact with a single attorney, but when the complexities of a case require it, our teamwork allows us to effectively and efficiently serve our clients. Whether you are a multi-million dollar company or a member of a garage band, we accept the responsibility of treating you with respect, timely answering your phone calls, keeping you informed, and guiding you through what can be an overwhelming process.
- Representation of insurers in complex insurance coverage disputes
- Representation of insurers and reinsurers in dozens of reinsurance arbitration proceedings ranging in value from several hundred thousand dollars to tens of millions of dollars
- Defense and settlement of a lemon law case involving a motorcycle
- Defense and trial of manufacturer warranty claim for a personal watercraft
- Prosecution of breach of contract and related issues for a failed partnership
- Defense and successful termination of an SEC investigation
- Defense of secured loans and related issues in bankruptcy court
- Prosecution of fraud and related issues for equipment purchases
- Defense and settlement of toxic tort claims in a multi-party dispute
- Prosecution and settlement of breach of contract for a real estate purchase
- Defense of securities claims against former officers of a public company
- Defense and settlement of antitrust claims
- Prosecution and defense of personal injury claims
- Representation of a local, start-up company, Vi Endurance in contract review and contract litigation. Vi Endurance makes high quality energy gels for endurance athletes, and this representation has provided a rewarding opportunity for the firm to mesh personal and business pursuits
- Representation of an Australian beauty care product company in a complex, multi-party dispute
- Representation of partner in the dissolution of partnership
- Prosecution of trade secret violations and violations of non-competes
- Defense of breach of contract related to a promissory note
- Prosecution of non-dischargeability claims in bankruptcy related to fraudulent contracts
- Prosecution of a buy-sell agreement related to a closely held company
Robertson and Ash maintains offices on both Denver and Boulder, Colorado. These offices allow us to serve clients along the front range and beyond. If you have been sued or are contemplating a lawsuit, contact Robertson and Ash to represent your interests.